Monday, October 6, 2014

[Review+Swatch] Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Color & Top Coat



Hi everyone! I'm back with a review of the new Sally Hansen Miracle Gel polishes. I have five from the collection, and I can't wait to share them with you. This new line features "gel" polishes that just need sunlight to cure. No special lamp is needed, and you can get the wear and shine of a gel polish. The colors themselves seem to be regular polishes, but the top coat comes in a black bottle as it's UV light sensitive. All of my swatches are shown with top coat after curing in direct sunlight.

Just a warning, I'm going to start off with a worst shade, so don't get turned off by my review. All the other colors were superb, and the top coat is really something else. ^^


Tea Party, 4 coats: pale blue with subtle fine shimmer. I tried applying this color on two different occasions and both times it was a hot mess. It's not sheer, but it applies very unevenly. If the formula was good, it'd be opaque in 2 coats. Unfortunately, I had to keep adding another layer to make up for all the bald spots. I finally got it even after the fourth coat, but you can still see the edge of my tips. The consistency is thick, so all those coats wouldn't dry. If you add top coat, only the top coat dries and the polish under stays mushy. If you want this color to work, you definitely need to let each coat dry before adding top coat.



Greyfitti, 3 coats: soft, cool-toned grey creme. Love this color! It was opaque in 2 coats, but I did a third for pics. It applied evenly and had good flow. With top coat, it dried in just a few minutes. Not rock solid, but dry enough to touch. Just looking at this swatch makes me want to wear it again.



Camo Queen, 2 coats: light olive-grey creme. Well, that's the best I can describe it. This one was practically a one-coater! Great formula and excellent dry time with the top coat. It was dry enough to touch after two minutes in direct sunlight.



Hydro Electric, 2 coats: bright, medium blue creme. It reminds me of a saturated, clear blue sky. This one applied a little unevenly on bigger nails, but it was nothing another coat couldn't fix. The consistency is medium-thin and for the most part, problem-free.



Redgy, 2 coats: bright, warm red creme. My favorite of the bunch! The formula was excellent, as was the pigmentation. It practically applies itself and the color is lovely.


About the Miracle Gel Top Coat
What makes this line amazing is the gel top coat. After applying one coat over the polish, I let the top coat cure in direct sunlight for about 5 minutes. Once the top coat cures, the polish will be dry enough to touch. It will still take some time for the polish under to dry completely. However, it will be dry enough for you to run out the door. 

But the best part is its ability to recover from nicks and smudges. I purposefully pressed my finger into the polish hard until I saw a clear fingerprint in the polish. The polish had also spread from under the pressure. 5 minutes later that nail looked good as new. Black magic I tell you. The top coat rebounds and pulls everything back in place. I also pressed my nail lightly into the polish and the same thing happened. The only time the damage was irreversible was when I nicked it hard enough to show my bare nail. Everything else repaired itself.

Verdict: With the exception of Tea Party, all the other colors applied smoothly in 2-3 coats. However, it's truly the gel top coat that makes this line outstanding. The shine is nice and dry time is quick, especially if you consider its ability to repair itself. The only downside might be that you need to apply it during the day time. Other than that, it's perfect! I can't wait to try it with other regular polishes as well.

Availability: The Sally Hansen Miracle Gel collection is available nationwide at chain drugstores and mass retailers nationwide. Both the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Color and Gel Top Coat retail for $9.99 each. 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)